Upgrading and Training in troubled time
Recently we have been hit by the corono-virus outbreak and we have all but avoided almost all activities except what is essential to our daily lives. From all quarters we were bombarded by advisory to stay away from unnecessary events.
Some things slowed to what seemed like a grinding halt and we found ourselves falling into a trap of sorts. All of us are just waiting.
The Drudgery of it all
I will admit that for about 2 months since COVID-19 arrived on our shore, I found myself in victim mode. As sign-up of courses and sessions start to taper off to a few unproductive enquiries, I start to distract myself bingeing on Netflix and Udemy courses online. The more screen-time I engage myself in, the more disengaged I am with what is important.
Waiting….and watching out for updates on new reported cases of the infected and reading with rapt attention at dry and boring MOH website. Studying links between different cases of infection as if they were a matter of life and death!
Waiting….and ranting at behaviours of some people out there….herd mentality, hoarding and mild hysteria popping up all over the place.
And I wonder….what am I doing to put myself ahead when things start to return to the way it was before? How should we do things if COVID-19 is here to stay in the long run?
The Attempt to Break Out
Well I did some online courses
Some are on topics I am very familiar with like NLP, coaching and hypnosis. Others in areas that I am currently developing like energy works and neuroplasticity. The more I did these courses online, I find a brooding sense of dissociation beginning to take hold of me. Suddenly it occurred to me that for me to fully understand the material that was presented in those courses I need to apply it on real people in real situations…otherwise what the trainers are saying are just blah blah blah and nothing substantial.
My client, Madam Dee (not her real name) said something that hit a chord with me while we were wrapping up a session. She thanked me for being willing to see her in the time when everyone is avoiding contact. To her, working on her issue is essential and not something that should wait. She said that all that we needed to do was to be personally accountable to our own hygiene and we will all be fine. She didn’t want to play catch up ONLY after everything is OK because she figured she was behind the curve when she had allowed her depressive thoughts to manifest itself into a psycho-somatic condition of a gastro-intestinal nature.
It was a wake-up call for me.
I gathered a few things from all these
- I am reminded of an NLP presupposition that “Knowledge is useless unless it is in the Bones” There is only so much use for “head knowledge”, unless it is ingrained into our system through Practice.
- Best time to get training and practice is BEFORE you need it
- You owe it to yourself to prepare to ride the next wave or else you will be washed away if not crushed by it. Like Mdm Dee puts it, it is even essential to do so.
- It is still possible to get a group together for training and practice if we are all conscientious and responsible and adhere to strict hygiene standards.
- There is no need to roll over and give up self-development in light of the current situation